Friday, October 9, 2009

Jeopardy Review Game


Jeopardy Review Game (Civil Rights)


Author(s):

Dustin Stewart


Grade Level

This lesson will be geared toward 11th grade students
Timeframe:
Since I am teaching at Decatur Central High School, they are based on an 8 day period which means each period is approximately 55 minutes. However, this game will take about 40 minutes to play, which will leave me time for introduction announcements, and an exit card that the students will be required to complete.

Lesson Description or Explanation

A few semesters ago I observed a teacher at George Washington High School who incorporated this Jeopardy game into his curriculum. Generally, Mr. Sims and his students would play Jeopardy before a big exam. Mr. Sims had a SMART Board in his classroom, which is how he organized the game. Therefore, Mr. Sims created this Jeopardy game using the SMART Board This game allows the students to review for their test. I noticed that the students responded in a positive manner toward this game. They enjoyed this game for many reasons. First, it was a different style of a lesson in that it wasn’t the traditional “lecture” lesson plan which unfortunately takes place in many classrooms today. Next, this lesson allowed students to work together to solve problems, which they enjoyed doing. Lastly, students love competition. However, I do understand that basing your entire curriculum around student competition is not the correct way to go, but the students do enjoy competition every once in awhile. Mr. Sims would offer bonus points to the groups based on where they finished in the game. For example, first place would receive 5 bonus points while last place would receive one bonus point. So, I am going to split the class up into 5 or 6 groups based on the class size and how many computers I have in my room. Hopefully I will get lucky and have about five computers in the back of my room accessible to students. Students will be able to use the computer to research questions asked in the Jeopardy game. However, they will only get three minutes to answer each question, and so research must be done quickly. This game will not be played like the normal Jeopardy rules. Rather, for each question I am going to give every group an opportunity to answer. So, after the question is asked, the group members will discuss their thoughts on the question collaboratively and come up with one answer. Then, one group member will write the answer on a sheet of paper which I will check. If they get the answer correct, they get the points for the question.

Indiana Curricular Standards


USH.7.1: Explain the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960’s and 70s by describing the ideas and actions of federal and state leaders, grassroots movements, and central organizations that were active in the movement.

USH.7.3: Identify and describe federal programs, policies and legal rulings designed to improve the lives of Americans during the 1960’s.

ISTE Standards

Communication and Collaboration: Students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.

Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, and Decision Making: students use critical thinking skills to plan and conduct research, manage projects, solve problems, and make informed decisions using appropriate digital tools and resources.

Assessments
Formative/Summative

For this lesson plan, I am going to assess the students in two different ways. First, I am going to have the group members evaluate each other through a questionnaire which has questions about how each particular group member participated in the game. Next, I am going to issue an “exit card” to the students after the game is over which will ask them what they learned today, how they liked the technology, and if they would like to play Jeopardy using the SMART Board again in the future.

The summative assessment will be the exam the following day. I will be able to tell if the Jeopardy review game was beneficial for my students or not based on their performance on the exam. However, I understand that not all students are excellent test-takers and so I will take this into account as well.

Prior Knowledge

The student’s prior knowledge plays a big part in this lesson plan. This plan quizzes the student’s prior knowledge based on what they’ve learned so far in the unit about Civil Rights. I am expecting the students to know most of the answers to this Jeopardy game, but I also believe it is my job as an educator to challenge the minds of my students, therefore, I will have some challenging questions that will require groups to visit the computers and perform a little research.

Technology


Internet Resources: I could use a number of resources, however, for this exercise I didn’t have any.

Hardware: This lesson will require the students to use computers to perform research. Also,

Software: No software is necessary

Procedure

To begin class, I will have a few announcements for my class. One would be reminding them of their exam coming up tomorrow. Then, I will go into an introduction of how to play Jeopardy. I believe this is a great way to get the students reviewing for the exam.
The rules of the game are as follows:
1. The class will be split into five groups based on academic performance in my classroom. In other words, the teams will be evenly matched.
2. Team members can collaborate amongst each other when thinking of the answer to a question. However, it is important to keep answers within the group other words the correct answer may leak out to another group.
3. There will be two daily double questions.
4. Each team can answer all of the Jeopardy questions (including daily double questions).
5. There will be a two to three minute time limit to obtain an answer. After that time is up I will say, “Pencils Down.” Then, I will go around to each group checking answers.
6. Students will be allowed to access the internet for some of the questions, because some questions will require students to do a little research.
7. Scoring will be the same as TV Jeopardy in that there will be 100 to 500 point questions.
8. If a question is missed, the team will be deducted points. For example, if a 300 point question was missed, the team would lose 300 points.

To begin Jeopardy, I will have a team select a category and point total. Then, I will select the question with my SMART Board mouse. Next, the question will pop up onto the screen, which I will precede by reading the question to the students. After the question is read to the students I will have a timer set on two minutes. After those two minutes are up, I will begin checking the answers of the groups. The questions will have one answer and so there will be no wiggle room for points, therefore, the answer is either right or wrong. For those groups who answer the question correctly, I will add their points on the board. Finally, in regards to the next question, I will just jump from group to group. So, if group one got to pick question one, group two will select question two and so forth. After all the questions on the board are selected, the game is over!!! Then, the group with the most points wins. For first place I will award 5 bonus points on the exam. 2nd place gets four points. 3rd place gets three points, while 4th grade gets two points and last place gets one point.

Differentiated Instruction

ESL
In regards to ESL students, it is possible to provide visuals for these students that I could work into the Jeopardy slides. Additionally, due to my lack of foreign language abilities, I would like to have some type of interpreter in my classroom which could relay information back and forth to both the student any myself. However, if I did happen to have a student who did not speak English effectively, I would work my butt off to learn some common words of their native language in order to create some type of communication with that student.

Challenge/Extend

For students who may need an extra challenge, I will end with a “final” question, and also have “Daily Double” questions in two places on the Jeopardy board. These questions will challenge the minds of my students; however, just because I will create challenging questions does not mean they should not get the correct answer. But, I will make them work for these answers.

Special Needs

This lesson plan as a whole will touch on many of the different types of learning disabilities students may have in my classroom. For example, if a student has a vision impairment, they can still participate because once the question and category is picked by a student, I will read the question out loud to my students. On the other hand, if I have a student with hearing difficulties, the visual that is created by the SMART Board will be there for that particular student to view. If I have a student who is handicapped in my classroom during this lesson, I will make the appropriate accommodations for that particular student by allowing them to sit wherever they feel the most comfortable. At the same time, I will bring members of the group to that table to work with that student that way the student with a physical disability does not have to move around. Lastly, I believe it is easy for educators to meet students with special needs’ accommodations. If we are knowledgeable about our student’s disabilities it is easier to make the appropriate accommodations for our students.
Please download and save this document to your computer.
Save as, Last name(s) Technology Lesson Plan.

Don’t forget to paste this lesson plan into Blogger.

No comments: